HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

PAINTING & DECOUPAGING WORLD WAR II GRENADE BOXES FOR CAROLEE & FRANK

PAINTING & DECOUPAGING WORLD WAR II GRENADE BOXES FOR CAROLEE & FRANK

Carolee and Frank had these old wooden ammunition boxes in their shed.
They think they're from WWII, early 1940's.
Carolee wanted me to do something with them and I painted the red before I remembered to take pictures of "before".
I suggested that I could paint them and decoupage on them.  Carolee brought some of her favorite pictures.  I had copies made of the ones that I wanted to use.
I was careful to rub the paint off of the areas where there was print on the boxes.
Frank loves red, so I put his picture on that one.
They have horses and go on trail rides, even out of state.
I cut the pictures out with some patterned scissors I've had for a long time.
(I don't know what to call them.)
This is Carolee's Bif.  He's a rescue mule and she loves riding him, even on trail rides.  He's in his early twenties.  She said mules can live to 35 or 40 years old.
Bif only had one hoof showing in the picture, so I drew him three more.
Here's a close up of the print on the boxes.  These two say "grenades".
Carolee picked them up yesterday and was really happy with their new look.
1940's ~ a long time ago!

18 comments:

  1. Bonjour chère amie,

    Quelle bonne idée que de donner une seconde vie à ces belles caisses de bois !... Elles vont avoir une utilisation beaucoup plus douce... que celle de contenir des grenades.
    Gros bisous ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martine, For sure their life is smoother now. Carolee was very happy with them.

      Delete
  2. What beautiful work you have done on the World War II Grenade Boxes. The are just lovely. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! Carolee was very happy with the way they turned out.

      Delete
  3. I just love the new life you gave these! And the decoupage is delightful! Thanks so much for sharing :)
    P.s. I love the spay/neuter on your sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love the way they turned out, but I did feel a bit guilty painting over and doing the decoupage over the original wood. I was very aware that it was 70 year old wood and grenades were serious business.
      And, the spay and neuter sign...if only people would!!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful way to recycle these great boxes for storage, they turned out great. The personalization made them special!

    Thanks for stopping by to link and share on The Oh My Heartsie Girl WW this week!!
    We appreciate you shared your blog with us!!
    Have a great week, Karren~Host
    OMHGWW 3-24

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were very happy with the way the boxes turned out. I painted them red, white and blue for WWII.

      Delete
  5. Olá , Lynda,

    Belas caixinhas...amei!!

    beijinhos,

    Lígia e =ˆ.ˆ=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the pictures she gave me to decoupage. The scenery is so beautiful.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea to personalize these boxes with decoupage. Beautiful. Thank you so much for linking it up at SHARE IT sunday linky party. Hugs, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the boxes Lynda and You've made turned them into treasured items that they will enjoy forever! thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jann. They really are nice with their pictures and their beloved horses on them.

      Delete
  8. Those grenade boxes are so cool! I love how you personalized them. ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting. Especially knowing they are from so long ago.

      Delete
  9. Those boxes are great for storage! Looks great! Thanks for joining HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete