HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Friday, May 25, 2012

FAUX "ANTIQUE COPPER" & METALLIC GOLD VENT-A-HOOD WITH DISTRESSED HONEY-TONED KITCHEN CABINETS ~ "HOW TO" PAINT FAUX "ANTIQUE COPPER" EBOOK AVAILABLE

VISIT MY
LYNDA BERGMAN DIY BLOG
~
This is a kitchen I painted for Saundra's new home. 
 At her other home I did a lot of texturing and painting.  But, the one finish that she wanted me to repeat in this new home was a vent-a-hood that I faux painted an "antique copper" special finish.  Also, she wanted me to paint a "aged" finish on her cabinets.
There was not a vent-a hood in this kitchen.  So, they removed a cabinet and she designed the shape of this vent-a-hood to match her newly renovated kitchen. 
The vent-a-hood was unfinished wood and newly built (very last photo, below). 
~
If you want to paint your vent-a-hood to look like my faux "antique copper" finish, my "how to" eBook is available.  It will give you instructions on this technique.
Contact:   lynberg@prodigy.net 
This eBook will be in PDF form.
~
Her cabinets and island were a pinky pickled light oak finish. 
 I applied a glazed and distressed finish to give the cabinets an "aged" look. 
 It took several coats of paint and glaze to achieve this "old" finish.
  The color is an off-white, brown sugary, honey glazed tone.
The island was also a pinky pickled oak finish.  
I embossed the design on the doors and drawers then primed, painted and distressed it black. 
 Last, I carefully painted the embossed design a metallic gold.
Believe me!! that was not easy.  
Newly built vent-a-hood and cabinets before I painted them.
 The "antique copper" vent-a-hood, distressed cabinets and the black and gold island look sooo good in her new kitchen.  She also got new granite and it was "to die for" with all the new colors.  
They all blended beautifully!!
~
VISIT MY 

35 comments:

  1. Stunning Lynda, I would never guess this wasn't genuine copper without touching it. Gorgeous faux work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is my dream kitchen! I would love for you to share your project on my Meet Up Monday Blog Party!
    http://jennymaire.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And, thanks for the invitation. I shared.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work, Lynda! Was the embossing easy or hard to achieve? Love the look!!! Found you thru Tuesday's at our Home with Maria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela! It's very easy to do. Tape your stencil in place and use mud or texture and swipe it on with a knife and lift your stencil while it's wet. Let it dry thoroughly before painting over it. It's a great look.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, just found your site. I will have to look around today! This is just beautiful.... I would love for you to share it at this weeks Home Sweet Garden Party! http://creativecountrymom.blogspot.com/2014/07/home-sweet-garden-729.html
    xxx....Brooke
    http://creativecountrymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your blog is beautiful and LOVE all of your flowers. I shared this post at your garden party.

      Delete
  5. love this! do you think it might work on real hoos that is smaller? Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you meant to ask about a real, metal vent-a-hood, the answer is yes. Ask your paint store for the proper supplies. They're different in different parts of the country. I just finished painting this same antique copper on a small stainless steel vent-a-hood and will be posting it soon. I have to go back to that job for one more thing and then will post it.

      Delete
  6. So pretty. I always enjoy seeing your work;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, bj! I love sharing my work and, possibly, inspiring someone to try it, too.

      Delete
  7. Wow! You worked some magic there! That pickled pink was popular for a day and a half in the Clinton administration and you made it gorgeous and up to date. And that faux your own copper vent, that is amazing! I just found you and now will follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're so right about that pickled pink finish. Lots of my work is updating those cabinets. You have a really nice blog and looks like you stay busy!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, it's such a good look with certain cabinet finishes.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful Lynda, love copper and this looks like the real thing...great job!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really looks amazing Lynda. Would have thought it was copper if I hadn't been told different! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jann! It's easy enough to do and will try to do videos one of these days.

      Delete
  11. That hood looks absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty and what a beautiful kitchen.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her kitchen is very beautiful and so glad I got to be a part of it. She really knows how to decorate.

      Delete
  13. I like anything painted black and that gold scroll work makes it fabulously looking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I painted the island black, I painted over the design, too. Then, trying to see the design to paint the gold was soooo hard!! But, I got it done.

      Delete
  14. Yes, her whole house looks as beautiful as this kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks beautiful and brings a great old world feel to the kitchen.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this copper patina! Hopped over from Style Sisters! Blessings, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that look, too. It's not really hard to do.

      Delete
  17. what's the process for applying the faux copper look thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I used Modern Masters Copper paint. Then I used a dark paint or a dark glaze to antique the whole vent hood. Be sure to use a clear sealer at the end.

      Delete