HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Sunday, September 24, 2023

DRAWING & PAINTING FAUX BRICKS (TROMPE L'OEIL) & TUTORIAL

     Back to the New Orleans style house where I've been working.
    The builder had one area that bothered him and couldn't decide what to do with it.
Finally, he had an idea and called me to ask if I could paint faux bricks for him in this area.
So, I did paint faux/trompe l'oeil bricks for him.  
Above are three walls with bricks.  
Can you tell which two walls are real and the one that I painted?
Ok, which one?
Alright, I'm sure you've guessed it.  The butler's pantry was very plain and the builder wanted me to paint the faux bricks to blend with the other two walls.  When you're standing in certain areas in the big living room you can see all three brick walls at the same time.  
It was important to make them look the same.
I'm very happy with the way they turned out.  
Everybody was saying, "oh, that looks good, you did it" and that made me feel good.  
The builder helped me with critiquing the grout lines and together, 
WE DID IT!!

TUTORIAL

First, I used dry spackling.  With a broad knife and my finger I lightly textured the area.
 I picked out colors to match the existing brick and mortar colors.
 I painted the grayish grout color over the whole area as my base coat.
When that dried, I used my brick stencil to get the structure going. 
 Next, I used a regular brush to stencil the orange brick.  
Then, I used a brush to paint on and a rag to rub out raw umber, off white and black.  It took a while to work on each brick and make them different from each other.  Last, I went back with a brush to paint the grout lines a little wider.  As the paint was wet, I wiped with a rag and smudged areas onto each brick to match the existing real brick walls.
At the very bottom and at the very top I had to make my own bricks because the stencil wouldn't fit in those spots.  The bricks are so uneven it's very simple to do.  In the corners I lightly brushed some raw umber so it shadowed, making it look more three dimensional.
I think anyone could do this.  
You could paint the wall behind your fireplace, the backsplash under your kitchen cabinets, a mud room, a bedroom wall or any place you wish you had bricks. 
 You can use any color for your bricks and mortar.
Have fun!!
Original Post:  6/20/13

47 comments:

  1. Hello Lynda, fabulous job, those bricks look fantastic, your so sweet, anyone could do it,ummmmm no, really the colors in the bricks are so beautiful. My dream kitchen, walls would be plaster with brick peaking through, love that :), thanks for sharing your wonderful work and have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dianne! You're always so nice about my work. I think your dream kitchen with the plaster and bricks would be very, very nice. Hope you get to have that some day.

      Delete
  2. Those look incredible!! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible! It would look awesome along the wall of our walk-out basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would look great! Paint your grout color as your base coat. You can make your own stencil or cut out a sponge to the size of your bricks and just go from there. Have fun!!

      Delete
  4. Great job, I did this years ago on a screened porch floor. Now that you have shown me again how cute it is, I may try it on my kitchen wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think bricks would look great in your kitchen! And, I bet they looked realy good on your porch floor, too.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous job! Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. Great tutorial. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those old "bricks" look just like my fireplace wall. I am always amazed at your faux paint projects, but still am in love with the toile tub. I think that will be my favorite for quite awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. those look amazing! I love the old touch to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the old touch, too. I guess that is a New Orleans look.

      Delete
  9. The backsplash turned out great! I love the look of brick in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the brick in the kitchen, too. Makes everything look so cozy.

      Delete
  10. You're amazing Linda - absolutely amazing!!!!!
    I have 100 year old exposed brick walls in my home - and you're look the exact same!!!!!!!!!!!!
    visiting from No Minimalist Here
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzan! It's always a challenge to paint something to look authentic. Especially, when it's next to the real thing. I do feel good about it, though, and thank you so much for your nice comments!!

      Delete
  11. Wow, that looks amazing! I love how it really blends with the other bricks. Great job and thanks for sharing at TTF this week.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks really wonderful! The only reason I would have guessed that wall is because of it's location! It really does match beautifully! Thanks for sharing the tutorial! I'm stopping by from Follow Along Friday =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! I guess that was an easy choice. But, I did enjoy writing the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lynda, you're very talented!

    Thanks for sharing on the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT. We'd love it if you would link back to us! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Sharon and Denise
    BeBetsy

    Follow us:
    Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Bloglovin ~ Pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lynda, you did an excellent job. Really can NOT tell the real from the faux! I am painting just a few bricks here and there on the outside of the basement (under the stairs) playhouse. I have just sketched them with a pencil and thought I would do them free hand. Nothing as serious as your job was. I've doing groups of three, and some single ones here and there. Not too many. Wasn't even planning on doing grout. Sure love the looks of it though. I may think that one over again. Thanks for sharing your amazing talent with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jann! It sounds like fun, painting bricks for the playhouse. It's really easy to paint vines amongst the bricks. And, colorful stick flowers are very easy, too. I've done that for playhouses and loved how they turned out. Even shutters would look so cute on your playhouse. Have fun with it!!

      Delete
  16. Wow! Your painted bricks look so real! You're really an excellent painter! So talented. I wish I could paint as well as you do! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stopping by to thank you for sharing at One More..http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/06/share-it-one-more-time-features-and_29.html This really came out great! Wouldn't have know they were painted they looks so real...great job!
    So happy you joined in this week...xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful...can't tell which are painted and which are real!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a challenge to get them to match the existing bricks.

      Delete
  19. You did a beautiful job, Lynda! I put bricks around my wall oven once and it was fun and looked great. Painting bricks would be fun too and a challenge for some. You did it splendidly! Thanks for sharing at my HOME and have a wonderful week. Happy 4th of July!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you should paint bricks again and if you aren't happy with them, just paint over it. But, I bet they would look great!!

      Delete
  20. Lynda, you really did an amazing job. Those bricks look like the real deal and your color matching is awesome. I bet the homeowner is thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie! Yes, the builder was very happy. When I get it right, I feel like it's "job security"!!

      Delete
  21. Fabulous job!!! I couldn't tell til you let us know! I love it and wish you were close. We want a "stone" wall in our bar downstairs. What state are you in? XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your blog is beautiful. I live in Texas, a long way from PA. But, I know you could do your stone wall, if you wanted to. The stones and grout are not perfect, so shouldn't be too hard. Paint your grout color as your base coat. Then, draw your stones and then color them in.

      Delete
  22. I love this look! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  23. What kind of paint did you use: flat, eggshell, semi-gloss? What would you recommend for use in the cooking area of a kitchen? How do you seal for protection? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, can't remember if I answered your email. You can use any kind of paint you want. And, just seal them with any sheen you want. But, bricks don't usually shine.

      Delete
  24. Replies
    1. I've had this stencil for a very long time and don't remember where I got it. You can make your own, though.

      Delete