HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Sunday, January 27, 2013

PAINTING GAYLE'S MANTEL FROM PICKLED, WHITE WASHED OAK TO BLACK DISTRESSED

VISIT MY
LYNDA BERGMAN DIY BLOG
~
(UPDATE:  OMGoodness!!  I was working at Gayle's this morning and she told me that she had played golf yesterday and got a hole-in-one!!  Her golf friends were cheering and when she got home her husband had already started celebrating!! and had banners and stuff around congratulating her. WOW!  Congratulations, Gayle!!)  
     Gayle loves decorating her home.  A while back I painted those peach walls.  Her dining room is attached to this living room and has peach walls, also. I asked if we could paint her ceiling a peachy red to blend with the walls and she let me paint that, too.  I don't have photos of her dining room ceiling, but will take some next week because I'm working there again starting Monday.
     Her mantel in her living room was a pickled oak finish.  One of us mentioned the black and I knew it would look really good with all of her peach decor and her black rug and furniture.  (well, I just talked to Gayle and she said it was my idea to paint her mantel black.  She said I was there painting something else and I told her we just had to paint the mantel black! and she agreed and let me paint it and she just said that she loves the way it looks now.)
Doesn't this room look soooo cozy!!
Painting the mantel black made such a dramatic difference to the room.
First, I primed the mantel.  Then, I painted it with a black oil based paint and rubbed the edges with a rag so the brown base coat color would show through, thus looking a bit distressed.
Then, I sealed it with two coats of an oil based sealer.
I love the way this turned out and it looks so beautiful in her already beautiful living room.
This is Gayle's dining room ceiling.  The peachy red adds a nice touch to the dining room and ties in so nicely with the living room decor.
~
VISIT MY 

20 comments:

  1. Distressed black is one of my favority finishes. Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the distressed black!! Thanks for sharing on Something To Talk About Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Thank you for sharing with us at Brag About It!
    ~Laurie
    www.myhusbandhastoomanyhobbies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The black really does make a fabulous statement! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the distressed black! It really makes the fireplace stand out!

    Jamie | anderson + grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle is very happy with her mantel. Her whole home is so beautiful.

      Delete
  6. Because I did not see it before but knowing the pickled wood, this makes the room look elegant!!

    Thanks for sharing on Friday Features this week.
    Have Happy Easter!
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did turn out the way we thought it would. She has other black accents around the room,too.

      Delete
  7. Wow. Everything is so warm with the peach! Congrads to Gayle on her home in 1 btw. + Thank you so much for linking this up at SHARE IT sunday linky party. So glad to have you with us on Easter Sunday! Till next week! ~ Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the distressed black mantel pops against the peach of the walls. It does definitely look quite cozy in there - a place I would love to spend my afternoons. Thank you so much for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It really is a cozy and inviting room.

      Delete
  9. I would love this mantle on my fireplace. Would bring the whole room together. Not sure what pickled wood is or if it can be done with other types of wood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Pickled wood is a white washed, very light finish and that is the finish on Gayle's mantel "before". You can prime your mantel with an oil based bonding primer. Then, paint it. You can rub the paint off with a rag or sand where you want your wood to come back through. Have fun.

      Delete