HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Friday, May 4, 2012

HOW TO BUILD A SHUTTER CABINET FOR A SMALL SPACE

   HOW TO BUILD A SHUTTER CABINET FOR A SMALL SPACE

  When I found this shutter it was painted white and a little bit of wood was showing through. 
 I wanted it to look more distressed, so I left it outside for three or four months.  After being rained on several times, I decided I finally liked it, just fine!  So, I distressed it a little bit more and added white and gray to it.  Then, I added the subtle stencil on top, middle and bottom in a soft metallic silver.  From the rain hitting it there is a bit of decayed wood on the very top,
 but I like the way it looks with the distressing.
     After working with the finished look I built a frame the size of the shutter out of 1 x 6 boards and cut and installed 7 shelves. 8 including the bottom of the frame.  I just used the wall as the back.  That way it kept it narrow since I didn't have a lot of room in the hallway.  At Lowes, I found some perfect legs to attach to the bottom.  I painted the frame and legs a steel blue and then painted and rubbed off metallic silver.  The color looks so nice with the distressed and faded white and gray shutter.  It needed a knob, so I found a wooden one and painted it to match the shutter.  At the very end I sealed everything with a "dull" clear coat.
     Finally, I added the hinges and attached the door and really love how it turned out. 
     Ok, I do need to touch up the blue paint. 
 I painted the inside blue and love it with my yellow walls.
     My home is small and I desperately needed more storage for the bathroom.  So, I attached the cabinet to the wall in my hallway just outside of my bathroom and it is PERFECT for so many bottles, perfume, toothpaste, hair products, etc. 
 I used "L hooks" to attach it to the wall and hold it in place.
     This cabinet is sooo easy to make and is a perfect size for a very narrow space.  

No comments:

Post a Comment