HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Thursday, September 22, 2022

PAINTING FURNITURE BLACK WITH METALLIC GOLD TRIM

Fifteen years ago I painted this cabinet in Pam's dining room.  I painted it black with metallic gold trim.

Recently, she called and asked if I would paint her dining room table and chairs with the same finish.

Originally the finish on her furniture was pickled oak.
The black that I painted is a little bit crackled and gently distressed.  
I painted the same metallic gold on the edge to tie in with the cabinet. 
I painted the gold on and wiped off so it would not be a solid gold.
Remember, metallic gold "reflects" light.  
The front edge is shiny from my flash and the other sheen is from the window.  If it is not reflecting from the light it will still be a color, just not so shiny.
Under the table top on the right side you can see the underneath unpainted wood.  Since this table has a smoked glass top the unpainted wood would show through the glass.  So, I will paint it black like the overall finish.  Not all of the distressing, just black so it won't be noticed.
Several times I've been asked to match the finish I painted years ago.  
Because I keep records of the paint I used and the finish it really helps. 
 I think I got it close enough that it will look good with the cabinet.  

"Before"
A few years back, Pam painted a gel stain over the original pickled finish. 
It looked very nice, but she was ready to decorate with black.

2 comments:

  1. I’ve started painting my fireplace surround flat black and sanding off some to distress and let the old finish through, BUT I am so nervous about what end result will be! I’ve purchased an antiquing glacé and a Matt poly acrylic sealer. Is the glaze necessary, is a Matt sealer over flat to dull? Should I use a satin? Yikes!! How do you do it, you’re work is beautiful!!! ( I want a French( Country look and now I’m wondering if a black distressed fireplace is to colonial looking)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I did not use a glaze. I put a little crackle medium over the base coat and painted black over that. You might need to go back over spots with the black again if you see spots that need work. I used a satin finish and put two coats on all and a third coat on the table top. Products are all different. If you think the first coat of sealer is too shiny you can put a lesser sheen on the last coat. A mat finish would look good. I'm not a decorator, but I think the black would look really nice if that is what you want. I just searched black French mantels/images and there were several. If you are wondering if each step would look good you can paint a sample board, even on poster board. Remember, it is only paint. You can paint over your mistakes and start again. Your extra layers and touch ups will probably look layered and old. Don't be nervous. Just do it :) Hope that helps. Lynda

      Delete