HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

DISTRESSING & AGING PICKLED-WHITE WASHED KITCHEN CABINETS FOR LORI'S HOME

DISTRESSING & AGING PICKLED-WHITE WASHED KITCHEN CABINETS FOR LORI'S HOME

Through the years, clients have asked if I could do something with their pickled/white washed cabinets without a  major re-do.  Once I made a sample and lightly sanded and stained and it was an unevenly stained job.  Even if you heavily sand, my experience is that the stain would still be uneven, unless you put several coats of stain and make it really dark.  
Darkly stained cabinets are really nice, too.
Lori's cabinets were not pinky like some of the pickled/white washed cabinets are.  I always liked her's in her kitchen because they were a beigy color and looked really nice to me.  Maybe it was the lighting in her kitchen.
But, Lori wanted them to be lightly distressed to go with the other cabinets that I've painted for her.  And, to go better with her kitchen island that I painted a couple of years ago.
Here is a link to
I told her that I had tried, before, and it just doesn't work.  She asked me several times and kept talking about it. 
 She said this was my idea:  I said, maybe I could lightly sand edges and a tiny bit in the middle and put a stain on it, but I wasn't sure it would look good.
She kept pushing and finally I did a little sample area and we both loved the way it looked.  So, she had me do the whole kitchen.  I lightly sanded some edges, applied the stain and then wiped it off.
Here is a picture of the island I painted to look old and distressed.
Here you can see that I didn't put the stain everywhere, just did it a little bit here and there.  Just enough to look distressed and a little bit old.
On the drawers, I stained a little more heavily around the edges.
Here, the left door has stain and the one on the right doesn't, yet.
My flash and the light from the window make the right door look too light.  That's not the way it looks in her kitchen lighting, but I wanted to show you the the difference.
I love the way this turned out.
Lori does her own decorating.  She searches and studies to figure out what would look best and then I get to interpret that in her home.
Thank you, Lori!

2 comments:

  1. I so enjoy your work. Luv the kitchen island!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gee! I try to follow what my client is asking me to do. I do like the brown and green together.

      Delete