HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Monday, February 10, 2014

PAINTING A SOFT COLOR, LIGHTLY DISTRESSED SPECIAL FINISH ON KATHY'S KITCHEN CABINETS

Kathy was doing some major renovation to the downstairs of her home. 
 BEAUTIFUL new travertine floors throughout the living areas adjoining dark hardwood flooring.  And, new tile and granite in her kitchen.
Her kitchen cabinets had that pickled/white washed finish, so she and her decorator asked me to paint them to a softer special finish.  But, not yellow like the existing color.
Many times, cabinets are sealed with oil based polyurethane and oils tend to "amber" or yellow over time.


Kathy asked me to make a sample for her, using her newly painted woodwork color as the base coat and using the wall color to wash over the soft off-white.


I pointed to several of the new backsplash tiles and asked if that was what she was wanting and it was.
Her backsplash and new travertine flooring had soft beigy tanny tones.


Remember Kingston and Phantom?  I introduced them to you when I painted Kathy's master bath cabinets.  They were sooo sweet!
(a link to that post)


So, this is the finished product!! 
 I forgot to take a picture of the "before" pickled/white washed finish.  But, I guess you know what that looks like.
I think this turned out so pretty and soft with her darker floors and walls.
And, she did a good job choosing her cabinet hardware.  It's a really nice contrasting, yet blending color.  And, looks really good with her granite.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you!! The light cabinets looked really nice with her dark walls and flooring.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous!! I plan to paint our kitchen cupboards in our new house an soft white and was thinking of using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. The cabinets currently are knotty pine, what kind of paint and procedure would you suggest? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've never used her paint, but have seen many pictures of finished projects and really love the way they look. I think you can't go wrong using her paint and waxes. From what I've read, they're not hard to work with, either. I think the pine coming through and waxing everything would look really, really good. Good luck with your project!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I admire your work, expertise and your advice! :)

      Delete