HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Friday, February 23, 2024

PAINTING SHUTTERS METALLIC GOLD & LEOPARD SPOTS

PAINTING SHUTTERS METALLIC GOLD & LEOPARD SPOTS

Patti is one of my favorite clients.  
I love the projects she has asked me to paint for her home through the years.
She had a small window in one of her hallways.  She found these shutters that were just the right size and asked me to paint them metallic gold and leopard spots.
She asked me to paint this curtain rod and finials black and metallic gold to go in an adjoining bedroom.  The colors matched the colors in the shutters.
First, I painted the inside shutter part a solid black.  When I painted the metallic gold over the black shutter part, I kept touching/blotting it with a rag.
That's why you are seeing the black coming through the gold.
 The undercoat for the outer frame where the leopard spots are, I painted a beigy off white.  Then, painted the metallic gold over that.  Next, I started drawing black squiggly lines with an opening. I painted a different color of metallic gold inside the squiggly lines.
 It's ok that they're not perfect.
 I used a black craft paint for the black and craft metallic paint for the two golds.
I did not seal these shutters because they were on a high window, so not a lot of traffic.  Sometimes, when you seal a metallic paint it dulls the finish.  Once I painted a lot of metallic paint in a dark bathroom, knowing it wasn't going to reflect a lot.  Then, I thought to use a high gloss water based sealer and it turned out great in the dark bathroom.
The metallic paints did reflect really well.  
Remember, metallics "reflect" light.  Without a light source it's just a color.
The high gloss in that bathroom was perfect for that dark area.
The carpenter separated the shutters and put one on each side of the window.
Such a great idea, Patti!
They looked really, really cute/great/wonderful!!
Original post 9/14/17.
~
VISIT MY
STILL WORKING ON IT ~ ADDING MORE & MORE TUTORIALS
VISIT AGAIN, SOON

No comments:

Post a Comment