HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Sunday, September 18, 2016

PAINTING CABINETS FROM STAINED OAK TO A BLACK DISTRESSED FINISH FOR SUZIE & MIKE

PAINTING CABINETS FROM STAINED OAK TO A BLACK DISTRESSED FINISH FOR SUZIE & MIKE

Mike and Suzie wanted all of their downstairs cabinets to be black distressed.
When they moved into this house, all of the cabinets were stained oak.
Earlier, they had someone paint their entertainment center in the great room.  
The painters painted the cabinets black and distressed the edges.  Their kitchen cabinets are white, distressed and glazed.  This is a large open area, so you can see the white kitchen and black entertainment center at the same time and the contrast is really sharp with beige walls. 
They called and asked me to paint the rest of the downstairs cabinets. 
Also, the cabinets in Mike's home office.
This is their wet bar.  As I was priming and painting the cabinets, they asked if anything could be done to the small textured beige wall that separated the top and bottom cabinets.  I told them I could paint it black and make the bar look like one big piece of furniture.
They liked that idea.
Suzie was looking at my blog and found some pictures of design embossing that I had done on other furniture.  I showed her several stencils so she could pick the design she wanted. 
 Then, she asked if I could do embossing on that little wall. 
 She drew the "H" and created the design for me to paint.  
I think she did a great job!
She didn't want the inside of the cabinet to be black.  
I suggested she let me paint metallic paint inside the cabinet and the same metallic paint on the embossed designs and edges of the drawers.
Above is the pool bath cabinet.  (different technique from the others)
Because the great room cabinets were already painted black, I asked if I could paint each of the other rooms with a little different technique. 
 All of the cabinets would still be black, but different. 
 I knew my painting and distressing would be different from the other painter's technique.
It's hard to match someone else's painting.
This is very sweet, beautiful little Macy.  Such a nice doggie.
In Mike's home office, there were two very large cabinets. 
 LOTS of shelves!
I painted the cabinets black and gently rubbed the black off of the edges.
He had a beautiful stained wood desk...oh my goodness!  
So pretty and looked so good witht the black cabinets.
See this box of soccer balls...
they were given to Mike by a friend who had collected from every World Cup since 1970! 
 Mike found clear acrylic shelves and will place each ball on a shelf on one of his walls.
Then, they noticed the stair rail. 
 I think it was the only piece of stained oak wood left in the downstairs area.  
So, I painted it, too.
This is the cabinet in the downstairs powder room.  Love! the copper sink.
The metallic paint that I used for the embossing and trim was a coppery color.
A very nice touch on the black.
Hall Linen Cabinet
Wet bar "before".
Downstairs powder room "before".
No design on doors "before".
Pool bath cabinet "before".
I really love the way Mike and Suzie's home looks with the new black cabinets.
Thank you, Suzie and Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment