HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Saturday, September 5, 2015

PAINTING LISA & BRAD'S KITCHEN CABINETS A GLAZED OFF WHITE FINISH

PAINTING LISA & BRAD'S KITCHEN CABINETS A GLAZED OFF WHITE FINISH

Lisa and Brad asked me to paint their kitchen cabinets.  
The cabients had an older pickled/white washed finish on them.  
Lisa and Brad saw some cabinets I painted at their friends' house.  The finish was a dark glazed finish.  I showed them a sample of that darker finish and they thought that's what they wanted on their cabinets.  
Then, Lisa asked me to paint some samples for her that were off white and glazed.
After seeing the lighter samples, she decided to go lighter in her kitchen.  She has lots of white woodwork and thought everything would look better.  
It was a really good choice because her kitchen is really beautiful, now.
Notice the painted switch plate.  It looks so much better than the white switch plate. 
They pulled the refrigerator out so I could paint the cabinets behind and above it.
Since they really liked the darker finish, they decided they wanted me to paint their island that color.  It's such a nice contrast to her lighter cabinets.
They are going replace the tile with a butcher block counter top.
Also, Lisa was looking for hardware for the cabinets.  
I know it will all look beautiful when she's finished.
This is sweet, sweet Belle.  She was a rescue from a long time ago.  She's afraid of the sounds of rain.  Probably the thunder.  So, one day it rained when I sitting on the floor working on the lower cabinets and she kept trying to get in my lap.  Poor baby!  I kept telling her no and she finally laid down beside me until it stoppped raining.  Paint and lap dogs do not mix.
Her switch plates were white and I painted them to match her tiles.  She had some extra tiles and I took them and the switch plates home with me to work on them.  It's better for me to work at home because I'm never quite sure which colors I will be needing and alllll of my colors are in my studio.  Lisa got new wooden switch plates and I painted them with craft paints.  
Then, two coats of sealer for protection. 
This is the glazed finish I painted on her cabinets.  I primed them and painted an off white finish.  Then, glazed and sealed.  Notice that I painted the tiny trim at the top of her upper cabinets and the tiny trim around her door panels, a little darker for an accent.  A subtle accent.  Lisa thought she wanted a "creamy" color and I suggested a more very light browny gray for the glaze.  I've noticed if you don't have a lot of natural light in a room, the "creamy" color looks really yellow.  
So glad she's very happy with this color.
A couple of years ago, I stained her stair railings.  These were pickled/white washed, too.
Remember the kitchen I painted for Kathryn and Sean a few months ago?  Well, they are Lisa and Brad's friends and that's where they saw the darker cabinets.
Here is a link to that kitchen:
Here are the "before" pictures of Lisa's kitchen and butler's pantry.
I love that she mixed the lighter and darker colors in her kitchen.  It really does look beautiful in the layout of her kitchen, breakfast and family room all open to each other.
Thank you Lisa and Brad!

No comments:

Post a Comment