HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Thursday, January 17, 2013

FROM BATH CABINET TO A HAND PAINTED ARTSY BIRD CABINET & TUTORIAL

FROM BATH CABINET TO A HAND PAINTED ARTSY BIRD CABINET & TUTORIAL

In the home where I was working my clients happened to be remodeling one of their bathrooms.  They were replacing their cabinets and put them in the garage to be hauled off.
One of the cabinets was a linen cabinet that hung over the commode.
When I saw it in the garage I just knew I could do something special with it.
I bet lots of you have this same cabinet over your commode with the opening on the bottom for tissues, towels, etc.  I asked a carpenter to help me with the feet.   
I asked him to turn it upside down with the opening at the top.  Then I found these feet at Lowes.  Actually, they are fence post finials.  I asked him to attach these feet to the cabinet.  The little wrought iron corner pieces I found at Hobby Lobby...LOVE their 40% off coupons!!
I added the new handles, too.
I started painting it.  I primed and painted it a soft blue.  I painted all of the artwork on front and sides.  Finally, I aged it with an antiquing glaze and sealed it with a clear coat.
I painted the inside an off white that matched the other artwork.  
I painted little metallic dots on the front of the shelves.
Painted metallic copper/bronze around the feet and a couple of other places on the cabinet.
I really loved how this cabinet turned out and it sold very quickly!  
One of these days I think I will get to see it again in a client's home.
I do hope so!!
Because I forgot to take a "before" photo of the original linen cabinet
I found this on Google to show you.  I wanted you to see what I started with.
You can do it, too!

27 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous. And, so good that you could envision what it COULD become, and saved it.
    Oh, and I love seeing your workroom. It reminds me of mine. I see so many on here that look like no one could EVER actually WORK in them.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Candy! I do love painting furniture or just about anything. And, sooo glad I have my workroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cabinet, Lynda. This is phenomenal. Saw this post on Common Ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Maggie!! I got Common Ground from your party list. I've learned so much about blogging from your blog...hoping you don't mind. And,I really love seeing all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an amazing transformation! just joined and looking forward to more fabulous projects

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina, Thanks for sharing your beautiful work at Simple & Sweet Fridays!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you and thank you for having your link party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s a new Linky Party to create more buzz for your blog and connect with others! If you haven’t joined Creative Crafts Thursday yet, please share your projects at www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other creative divas are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynda, The cabinet turned out beautiful and it was a very creative transformation. Thank you for joining the Open House party and I am a new follower. Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Sherry! and, thank you for following. Now, I have 30!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a talent you have...your work really is amazing to me. Wonderful, beautiful piece. WOW!
    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much! I do love paint and painting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for linking your pretty cabinet up to my party! Love what you did with it. I have one of these style cabinets in my soon to be demolished bathroom. Hmmm...now you have me thinking of the possibilities. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great day!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lynda, this really did turn out amazing! You had the vision girl! Love the hand painted birds! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are one heck of a talented woman. Bravo for and too you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely stunning! Love the colors and you did an amazning job handpainting those sweet little birds! Thank you for sharing at OhMyHeartsieGirlWW! Looking forward to seeing you next week!
    Christine@CherishingaSweetLife

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for joining our Oh My Heartsie Girl Wordless Wednesday Link Party.. I love the beautiful work you have done on this, I love the colours and the handpainting is amazing.. wish I could do it! stunning, will be pinning and tweeting this!! thank you for sharing! Have a great day, co-host Evija @Fromevijawithlove

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have great talent! Thanks for adding such beauty to Oh My Heartsie Girl Wordless Wednesday!

    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shellie! I visited your blog and saw your "baby". I know you're very proud of him.

      Delete
  19. Wow...such a beautiful transformation! I understand why it sold so quickly...amazing!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete