HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

PAINTING FAUX "ANTIQUE COPPER" ON VERONICA'S DINING ROOM CEILING & TWO NICHES

PAINTING FAUX "ANTIQUE COPPER" ON VERONICA'S DINING ROOM CEILING & TWO NICHES

My client asked me to paint her dining room ceiling.
Her home was the perfect style for my "antique copper" special finish.
I showed her a sample and she loved it.  There were two niches in the entry next to her dining room and she asked me to paint the same finish in those, too.
When you walk in the front door you see the niches and dining room together.
 They look really nice.
Imagine what you are seeing is a metallic copper shining back at you through the antiquing.  I always have trouble taking pictures of the metallic paints.  Either they shine too much or not at all.  She found this wonderful santos "The King" and it fit perfectly in the space.  
She said that she will be adding more art above Him.
This is her 14' high dining room ceiling.  I used my 8' ladder, but it was still lots of work.  I painted the antique copper as the base coat and used a dark blacky brown to antique over it.  I painted on the brown and wiped it off with a rag.  The texture on her ceiling was just perfect for antiquing the ceiling.  At the base of her chandelier I did some smudging, added metallic gold and some red.  It looks like the copper might have aged and has a natural patina.
Her husband really liked it and said it looked like a ceiling in Vegas.
There's sweet Veronica dusting her chandelier. 
She said she and her decorator are going to add more crystals.  It will really sparkle!
Oh my goodness!!!  
This is their tiny little kitten that her son got for Christmas.  I bet he doesn't even weigh a pound and they named him BORIS.  He's a fluffy gray and white long haired kitty.  He was sooo tiny.  One day while I was working, they couldn't find him.  They looked and looked for at least 30 minutes panicking.  thinking he might have gotten out the front door.  There happened to be a tiny tear underneath this upholstered chair and Boris had climbed up in it and was taking a nap. 
Here are the two niches in Veronica's entry.  Because of all of the light coming in her front doors, the "antique copper" looked beautiful with the subtle metallic sheen (which you can't see in these two pictures).  Oh, and last week they added a granite shelf inside each niche.  
I didn't catch the light in this picture either to make the metallic paint shine but trust me, it is really beautiful.
These pictures are "before" the special finish.
Veronica's home is where I recently painted the black distressed kitchen island and here is a link to that post VERONICA'S KITHCEN ISLAND & WINE CABINET .
I might be going back in March and will get to see everything put back together.  I'm sure it will be amazing and I'll share it with you.  (Veronica said I could.)
Thank you Veronica!  
I loved working with you in your beautiful home.
Original post was 1/25/15.

15 comments:

  1. That is a magnificent finish. Very old world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie! Veronica's big window, chandelier and two sconces are perfect lighting for reflecting the "antique copper".

      Delete
  2. Beautiful job, I love the faux copper finish on the ceiling and in the niches. Enjoying your blog on this snowy (blizzard!) afternoon in Maine,
    Cheryl @ 22 Applegate Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! So glad you have electricity. I can't imagine being snowed in. Sounds very cold to me.We don't get much snow down here in South Texas. Stay warm.

      Delete
  3. Lynda, this is lovely. The light from the window really enhances the coppery niches. As for the ceiling, wow, it certainly looks gorgeous after all your hard work. I saw your link at Elizabeth & Co's link party. Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey www.irisabbey.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you noticed that the light enhances the metallic paint. It really is a lot of work, but I do love my job.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh - I wish you could paint mine. That is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The new ceiling looked so beautiful with her dining room decor.

      Delete
  5. Bonjour chère amie,

    J'aime beaucoup le rendu final de ce plafond et des niches... Cette peinture apporte une atmosphère particulièrement intimiste.
    Un très joli travail... Lorsque la lumière naturelle ou les lumières de ce superbe lustre illuminent ce beau décor il devient exceptionnel.

    Gros bisous ♡ ☼ ♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour chère amie,

    J'aime beaucoup le rendu final de ce plafond et des niches... Cette peinture apporte une atmosphère particulièrement intimiste.
    Un très joli travail... Lorsque la lumière naturelle ou les lumières de ce superbe lustre illuminent ce beau décor il devient exceptionnel.

    Gros bisous ♡ ☼ ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the lighting is the key to metallic paints. Veronica's dining room has perfect lighting for this technique.

      Delete
  7. I love things like this! My home's 8-foot ceilings don't work as well for special ceiling finishes -- too low. But they really make rooms look so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ceilings are 8', too. If I wanted a special finish, I think I would frame it in with some molding and just do part of the ceiling. That would be beautiful, too.

      Delete
  8. Wow Lynda, this really does look like real copper. Great job! The kitty is so cute too. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jann! It does look like it might be copper when the light is hitting it just right. That kitten was so tiny and darling and cute. It looked like a toy.

      Delete