HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Sunday, July 6, 2014

TURN A SMALL CHEST INTO A REALLY COOL BLACK KITCHEN ISLAND

My client showed me a little black chest in her hallway and told me she wanted to turn it into a kitchen island.
It didn't have this granite on it, just a black top.


She had the granite made for the little chest.
Of course, they moved the chest into the kitchen before they put the granite on it.  
Oh my goodness!!  
That granite was so heavy I couldn't even move it a tiny bit.


Then, she had a carpenter add these little feet to raise it to a comfortable height for working in the kitchen.  
She said she would be rolling dough on it.
In this picture, it looks messed up because I had just sanded it.


The back was very plain and she had the carpenter attach this trim and board, so it would stand out a little and give it more dimension.
These trim pieces really, really made it look special.
Then, she called me and I went over to paint it, just solid black.


The shape, the added feet and trim made it look so sharp in her kitchen.
Isn't it a cool piece, now??
Go find that piece of furniture in the garage that you can't find anybody to give it to and do something special to it.
Have fun designing your new piece!

20 comments:

  1. What a beautiful island and you did a terrific job on it. I would have never thought to make the table into a island, but it worked out so well.
    Thanks for sharing and have a great week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youl! It was the decorator's idea and I love the way it turned out, too.

      Delete
  2. Oh how I love seeing a pretty chest used as an kitchen island. Thanks so much for sharing at my Show and Share Party today.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new island, so pretty and sleek!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My client was very happy with the way it turned out.

      Delete
  4. I'm here from Tuesdays at Our Home. What a great idea! I love the little details that were added - the feet and trim. I am now on a hunt for something like this. We want a new kitchen island, but they are expensive. This is a great alternative! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the decorator's idea and it did turn out so nicely. I think a flea market would have all kinds of chests for you to design and play with.

      Delete
  5. You did a beautiful job on your Kitchen Island. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great idea. I love the legs and the granite made it a perfect kitchen piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maggie! Yes, the decorator had the idea and designed it for her/my client's kitchen. The granite is really beautiful.

      Delete
  7. So creative and looks GREAT! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice paint job Lynda. I need to find a piece about that wide for my kitchen. Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Blessings,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah! Flea markets and junk stores are a good place to look, but I'm sure you already know that :)

      Delete
  9. This turned out marvelous, Lynda! What a fabulous idea and the addition of the trim and board to give it dimension! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! I just love all of the decorative trims you can find, now. You can change anything.

      Delete
  10. Love it Lynda! I like using unusual things for an island. I used an old counter that we had made for a shop I once owned with a friend into our basement island. It looks like an old seed keep and I love it! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete