HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Thursday, November 8, 2012

PAINTING COLUMNS & MANTEL FROM WHITE TO LOOK LIKE WOOD, OLD & DISTRESSED

PAINTING COLUMNS & MANTEL FROM WHITE TO LOOK LIKE WOOD, OLD & DISTRESSED

For three or four years in a row Monica would call me to work in her home in September.  
I textured and painted walls, columns, mantel, a door, stripes in a powder room and a bathroom and lots of other things.  She already had a beautiful home, but with all of the special finishes it was even more beautiful!
This is an "old broken plaster" finish I textured and painted on this curved wall going into her dining room.  I painted the same special finish on the arched wall in the background, behind her dining room table.  And, I painted the columns to look like wood, old and distressed.
There are columns on either side of the entry into her dining room.  They were painted white before I painted them to look like stained wood and old.
I love painting this old finish.
And, here is the mantel that is in her living room.  It was painted white before I painted this special finish.  The columns and the mantel are the same color and finish.
This is a close up of the finish on the mantel.
I loved working with Monica and Kade.  The best and sweetest people in the world!!
Oh, and I loved their kitty cat named Macy!

9 comments:

  1. That really does look like wood. I don't know how you do it. You're so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really did a great job Lynda! You would never know it wasn't wood. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty finish Lynda! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lynda, I love the look of these columns and we want to reproduce this as we have large columns very similar to the ones in your photo. Our columns are currently white and if possible, could you send us the name and brand of the paint and the colors. Could you please provide the step by step instructions to achieve this unique and beautiful result?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I used a dark brown base coat, then crackle medium. Then, a lighter coat on top of the crackle medium. Then, Old Masters brown gel stain on top of the lighter color. Paint it on and wipe it off. Two coats of a low sheen sealer.
      Look on YouTube and ask your paint store. Make lots of samples until you get the look you want.
      Thank you for your interest.
      Lynda

      Delete
  5. What paint brand did you use for the dark brown and crackle medium and then for the lighter coat? I just need to make sure I can attempt to reproduce a similar result like yours. Also thanks for the quick reply!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used chalk paint in the past, but what you tube channel or word search terms did you use to find this technique?

    ReplyDelete