HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Friday, March 25, 2022

DRAWING & PAINTING FAUX BRICKS FOR A TEENAGE BOY'S ROOM

DRAWING & PAINTING FAUX BRICKS FOR A TEENAGE BOY'S ROOM

Kimberly was redecorating her teenage son's room and asked me to draw and paint bricks on the wall behind his bed.
She wanted the bricks and mortar to be in the gray and black tones.
I used a grayish white for the bricks.
And, she wanted them uneven and smudgy, so that's what I did.
This is Paisley.  Beautiful little doggie.
She is one spoiled baby.  She likes to be in her mommy's arms.
Is she snubbing me!
First, I painted the mortar color on the wall as a base coat.  Then, I started painting the individual bricks.  I swiped and smudged with my brush and let some of the base coat show through.  I was going to come back with a little brush and make the grout lines a little darker and more uneven.  Then, Kimberly decided she wanted the grout to be even darker.  So, I used a dark blackie gray and with a little brush I painted the grout lines.  Also, I lightly painted a second coat of  grayish white on the bricks. 
On the internet, she found the cutest large wire bear head.  
I think she's is going to get it to hang over her son's bed.
When I paint bricks, a harlequin pattern, stones or stripes I always draw a grid on the wall.  It's just easier for me to follow.  It takes a couple of extra hours, but I have a guide to paint by.  Every other row of bricks has to be moved over and if I didn't have the grid, I know I would have it all messed up and uneven.  I know that because the very first time I ever drew a harlequin pattern, I started getting them uneven.  That's when I knew I would always have to draw a grid first.
Kimberly told me the size she wanted the bricks to be. 
 I measured at the top of the wall and drew the lines vertically.  Then she decided how wide she wanted the bricks and  I measured and drew horizontally.  
I always use my level when I'm drawing lines.
She had a painter paint my gray base coat color on all of the other walls.  They were a beige.
Monday, I'm going back to Kimberly's to paint her kitchen cabinets.  I'm eager to see if she got that wire bear head for over the bed.  If she did, I'll show it to you.
Thank you Kimberly!!
~
Here is a link to another brick wall that I painted and tutorial:
(Original post on August 2, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment