HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Sunday, July 26, 2015

STEPHANIE'S NEW VENT-A-HOOD (PAINTING MY FAUX "ANTIQUE COPPER" SPECIAL FINISH)

STEPHANIE'S NEW VENT-A-HOOD (PAINTING MY FAUX "ANTIQUE COPPER" SPECIAL FINISH)

A couple of years ago, I painted for Stephanie's neighbor.
I painted my "antique copper" finish on their newly built wooden kitchen vent-a-hood.
So,  when Stephanie was remodeling her kitchen, she had a carpenter build her a wooden vent-a-hood, too.  She liked how I painted her neighbor's, so a few weeks ago she asked me to paint her vent-a-hood with my "antique copper" finish.
She has a beautiful copper chandelier in her breakfast room.  So, I mixed my metallic copper paint to be a similar color shade, but not exactly.  Sometimes the metallic copper paint is a little too orange, so I mix other  metallic colors to get what will blend in my clients' homes.  Also, she has different copper pots and accessories around her beautiful kitchen and breakfast room and it all ties in very nicely.  The back of her house has lots of glass walls, looking out over her huge yard.  I loved looking out while I was working and I could hear the hawks and other birds calling.  
Stephanie told me that they have a house in Ireland where they visit two or three times a year.  She said it's a small village and it's filled with artists.  I think she said if you're an artist, you don't have to pay taxes.  The town feels like it makes them more appealing to visitors.  She said they have puffins and they're fun to watch and very interesting.
I think I would love to live in a small village in Ireland!
Here is a side view, so you can see the shape.
Here are Molly and Louie.  Very, very sweet dogs. The gate between the two neighbor's houses is always left open so the dogs can visit back and forth.  They get treats and take naps and then go home.  I thought that was sooo cute.  And, while I was painting for Stephanie, they went next door to visit a couple of times.
Here is a link to the neighbor vent-a-hood job:
First, I showed Stephanie several stencils so she could pick out the design that she wanted on the front.  Then, I measured and embossed the design.  Next, I primed, painted the metallic copper, painted metallic gold on the embossed design and then aged it with dark paint.  You can see that I painted a couple of the trim pieces with the metallic gold, too.  If you paint with metallic paints, remember that metallic paint "reflects", so make sure you have a light source to show off your faux metal look.
This is the "before" picture.
I love how everything turned out and from the breakfast and living rooms, it really does look like it might be copper.  
That's what I was going for!
Thank you, Stephanie! 
 I really enjoyed working with you and the doggies.
~
HERE IS A LINK TO MY INSTRUCTIONAL eBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment