HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Saturday, September 27, 2014

FROM TUSCANY KITCHEN TO OFF WHITE GLAZED & DISTRESSED KITCHEN CABINETS

FROM TUSCANY KITCHEN TO OFF WHITE GLAZED & DISTRESSED KITCHEN CABINETS


Several years ago my client asked me to paint this tuscany finish on her kitchen cabinets in her new home.  The cabinets had a pickled/white washed finish on them and that just didn't work with her furniture and kitchen decor.
Now, it is a beautiful cozy kitchen with the new warmer cabinet color.
Recently, after about ten years, she called and said she was ready for a change.  She wanted me to paint her cabinets again and this time she wanted them to be very, very light.
Such a contrast!
This is her new chandelier that I shared with you in the two posts before this one.
And, this is the smaller chandelier that I shared with you in the earlier post.
She had painted this one a dark green to go with her tuscany kitchen.  This time she asked me to repaint it in similar colors and finish to match her beautiful new chandelier.
This is her kitchen after I finished painting the lighter colors.  
Finally, she can start redecorating her new kitchen.
I know it will be beautiful!
Look at this bowl.  Isn't it fabulous!!!
My client told me the artist is in her 90's.  I don't remember her name.  Can you imagine the time that went into this delicate work! 
 Those are the colors that I LOVE.
This is a close-up of the new finish on her cabinets that wrap around the large room.
I painted a lighter off white and then glazed with a little bit darker off white and wiped off with a rag.
As I usually do, I made several samples before I started the work and this is the one that she approved.  I had to make sure the colors I chose would go and blend well with her new backsplash and her new granite.  Choosing the right shades of color is really important for the best look in a room.
This is a picture of the finish that I painted on the kitchen island.  I painted the same technique that I painted on the other cabinets.  But, I used a darker off white as the base coat and distressed the finish So, when I distressed and opened the top coat the darker off white base coat showed through. 
Not sure if you can see that I painted the inside of the open shelves of the upper cabinets that same darker off white.  The darker off white is the color I used for the undercoat of the distressing on the island.
Years ago, when I painted the tuscany finish on the cabinets, I also textured the walls in several of her rooms.  I used sheetrock mud and a 5" or 6" broad knife.  I love the textured look and I love doing it, too.  It's a lot of work and the mud is heavy.  It really changes the look of a room.
I loved working in this beautiful home, again. 

10 comments:

  1. Lynda...it really says a lot when someone asks you back to paint their cabinets again. Your work is beautiful and I'm sure your client was thrilled.

    Thanks for sharing your talent with us at Project Inspire{d}!
    Hope your week is off to an extraordinary start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! Yes, it makes me feel good when I have repeat clients.

      Delete
  2. The cabinets look beautiful! Does the color have some gray to it? That's what I'm seeing in some of the photos, but others look very white-white. Just wondering because various shades of light to medium gray have taken over the all-white kitchen cabinets around here. Anyway, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! I think the lighting and shadows make the color look different. I used a light off white as a base and then mixed a glaze that was a "warm" off white grayish color. So, you are right about a bit of gray showing up.

      Delete
  3. Lynda, it's no surprise that you have repeat customers. You do such amazing work and always make sure that the color is just right! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the transformation -these are beautiful. Your work is amazing. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

    ReplyDelete