HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Monday, September 4, 2017

DRAWING & PAINTING TROMPE L'OEIL WINDOW & SKY ARTWORK ABOVE PATIO DOORS

DRAWING & PAINTING TROMPE L'OEIL WINDOW & SKY ARTWORK ABOVE PATIO DOORS 

Years ago, before I finally started using a digital camera I took lots of pictures of my work and had the "film developed".  I bet there are some people who don't know what that means.
Looking through those pictures I'm finding work I want to share with you.
In her living room, my client had very high walls and a big empty space above her doors that went out to her patio.  She asked me to come by and suggest something to go on that wall.  She asked what I thought about some design with scrolling.  But, seeing the outside I immediately saw a window with a sky and trees.  I suggested that to her and she loved the idea.
It was very easy to draw and paint.  I think you could do it, too.
~
TUTORIAL
First I drew the frame that would frame the sky.  I made it 4" or 5" wide.  You can decide how wide you want your frame to be and paint it any color you want.  I painted it the same white as her doors and woodwork/trim.  Use craft paints raw umber or some darker browny gray for shadowing around the edges.  In your color tray water down the paint just a little bit so it will flow more easily as you paint.  Painting that thin shadow will make it look more 3 dimensional.  For shadow reference, look around the room at the shadows on other trim.  Next, with my brush I smudged and swiped blue and white (like faux painting) and made it look like a sky with clouds.  Draw you some birds.  You can make copies or draw them on paper and trace the birds on the wall, then paint them.  Decoupage would be ok, too, for the birds.  For the trees I like to draw the branches first with a pencil.  I draw lines where I want them to be.  Paint over them with raw umber or whatever shade of brown or gray brown that you want.  Then, draw leaves or use a small paint brush and dot, dot, dot with green.  You can also draw any size or shape of leaves you want.  At first you might not be happy with your artwork, but wait a while and let your family and friends see it.  After a while I bet you will be very happy with yourself.  Have fun!!
~
VISIT MY 
STILL WORKING ON IT ~ ADDING MORE & MORE TUTORIALS
VISIT AGAIN, SOON

No comments:

Post a Comment