HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

PAINTING DISTRESSED & GLAZED, GRAY & BLUE OFFICE CABINETS

     PAINTING DISTRESSED & GLAZED, GRAY & BLUE OFFICE CABINETS

These are the blue and gray/white distressed office cabinets I just finished painting for the house under construction.  This office is small, so I couldn't get a full view. 
 The cabinets look really good with the wall and trim colors.
 
I primed and painted the grayish white.  I painted the tiny trim with blue.  Then distressed and glazed with an antiquing glaze (gray browny glaze) that I mixed. 
 Last, I sealed them with two coats of a clear low sheen sealer.
These cabinets will get new hardware and I think they are going to put chicken wire in the open doors, instead of glass.
My favorite finish to paint is distressed, glazed and old!
When I was working on the kitchen cabinets I mentioned how smooth the primer on the cabinets was.  His painters had primed and sanded them and the contractor said "smooth as a baby's bottom" (ha).  I said, I don't want my work to be "smooth as a baby's bottom".  
I want my finishes to be chunky, old and uneven.  He just nodded his head.
It just so happens, I think these office cabinets are his favorite finish.
I might be doing his kitchen cabinets like this at his home, just different colors.

6 comments:

  1. Love this! I am trying to convince my hubby that my office would be so much better this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your cabinets are stained wood, men LOVE wood!! Several times, my clients have had to really work with their husbands to get them to change. One time, when my client convinced her husband to let me change her cabinets, her husband liked them so much that he was, jokingly, telling their friends that it was his idea. The thing about painting over stained wood is, if you decide you want them stained again, you can do that. Painting over a stained wood finish, you haven't hurt the wood.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you, Lynda. Chunky, chipped and distressed has a lot more patina than a smooth flat finish. I think it's a guy thing. I call my husband the sanding fool, while my work is uneven, primitive and chippy. It has so much more character though. Your glazed finish is amazing. Glazing is one of my favorite ways to finish chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie! Regarding your Facebook posting with the beautiful powder room metallic paper that you love: you can do that with a stencil. Just paint your wall a background color and use MM or any metallic paint and a stencil. If a whole room is too much work for you, just do one wall or around a window, tub, etc. As you're stenciling the metallic paint, try not to get it too thick or it will be very solid/opaque and not mottled like your photo. Also, the photo is a perfect example of working with metallics. They only reflect when light is hitting the paint. The rest of the room will look different until light hits that surface, too.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you too, I LOVE your work it always looks stunning when you redo anything:) The chicken wire will look fabulous in the open parts. What do contractors know about real decorating psssh nothing LOL. Thanks for sharing your work I loooove to see what you create..

    ReplyDelete