HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Friday, March 1, 2013

PAINTING NEW DOORS TO MATCH A VERY OLD DISTRESSED CABINET & TUTORIAL

   PAINTING NEW DOORS TO MATCH A VERY OLD DISTRESSED CABINET & TUTORIAL

  My client found this wonderful, very old cabinet.  I believe she told me it came from Europe.  It didn't have those two little doors on it and she had two new doors made and needed me to paint the doors to match the cabinet.
It's always a challenge when I have to match an existing finish.  But, a good challenge.
(I worked on it upside down and had to rotate the photos for this post, in case you noticed! :)
The doors were the only thing I painted.  All the other staining and distressing were already there.
I started by matching the color of the wood closest to the doors.  Then, I mixed some blue colors together to get the right shade and scratched and distressed it, a bit.  
Next, I stained it heavily to match areas closest to the doors. 
 Lastly, I waxed it so it would have a protective, very low sheen finish on it.
It's such a beautiful piece and I'm so glad she brought it to me to work on.  Just looking at it is inspirational for other pieces I might want to paint.
Thank you, Patti!!
(I told you she had great taste!  She finds the most interesting pieces!!)

Just received this email:  "John LOVED the cabinet! Thanks for your hard work. Love, P"
Always so nice to get it right!!

Below is  the "before" picture.  I had already started trying to paint the blue.  
The doors were raw wood when I started trying to match the finish on the cabinet.
UPDATE: FINALLY RETRIEVED "BEFORE" PHOTOS FROM MY OLD, BROKEN, GONE KAPUT COMPUTER

32 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous old cabinet and you have painted it perfectly what a fabulous job you are the BOMB girly thanks for sharing and have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That piece is awesome! It's a paint finish I would like to aspire to learn. Love the piece and the color. Fabulous job, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you and I LOVE that piece, too!! She's putting it in her beach house that they're building right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous piece and I love the finish. Thanks for joining TTT. Hgus, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, is inspirational (for a furniture painter) to look at!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, that is a gorgeous piece!
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe how perfectly you matched the color and distressing. I can not tell where the old and new meet. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great weekend!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute...you are blessed to get to work on such neat stuff! This is my first visit to your blog. I've just posted this week's new Homemaking Linkup and would love to have you join, if you'd like.

    Blessings,
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you and you are so right. Lucky me!! I joined your Linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmmmmmm, it's charming.

    stopping by via frenchcountrycottage and hope you'll have a minute to pop over too. http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com

    happy weekend to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Michele, I've been a follower for a while, now. Love your blog!! especially, the post about the Magnolia Pearl house!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a fabulous piece to own , I know she is happy with your work

    I thought I didn't want another old piece in my kitchen however I would move this right in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was beautifully old and distressed! I'm pretty sure it came from Europe. And, Patti was very, very happy with the way it turned out.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing this great piece with "Open House" You do such a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! and, is fun to "share". Thank you for your "Open House".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is an awesome cabinet! Love all the details and the finish came out great! Thank you or sharing at TTF.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an exquisite piece - love the design and the color - can't wait to see what you paint on the doors.
    I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynda, The paint finish is beautiful and I love the old cabinet.
    xx, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a unique piece! Great job of matching it. Looks like they were always there! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Once you figure out how to upload photos, please upload the doors. I want to see if it's as beautiful as this. Did you use the distressed effect on them as well? The cabinet looks so cool and vintage! It really does look like it came from Europe. I hope there will be more projects like these for you in the future. Good luck with your client!

    Terry Arnold

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Terry, The two little doors you see on this piece were the brand new unfinished doors and I worked on them to make them match the cabinet.

    I figured out that two of my "before" photos are on my old computer and not backed up by Carbonite because of my broken computer. Soon, I will have a computer guy come to help me and I'll see if he can restore those for me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks gorgeous - nice job!! Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool cabinet! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    Navy Wifey Peters

    ReplyDelete