HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Sunday, January 6, 2013

PAINTING A PICKLED WOOD STAIRWELL BANISTER TO LOOK LIKE STAINED WOOD

Lisa got new hardwood flooring and it is beautifully, richly dark.  The pickled wood banister on her stairwell didn't look right or go with the floors, anymore.


I had just worked for her next door neighbor, painting a special finish so their pickled wood bath cabinets would look like stained wood.  Lisa saw and loved the transformation and called me and asked if I could do the same process to her banister.


Yesterday, I finished her job and they are very happy with their new banister!  Lisa noticed my brush strokes and thought they looked like woodgrain.  
This special finish, has several layers and I had to be very careful with my brush strokes.  Because of the layers of primer and paint, you could no longer see the actual woodgrain.  I had to make sure that I brushed in the direction the grain would naturally flow and create new woodgrain.



As I completed the job, I painted two layers of clear sealer to protect the finish.  In some places, I painted a third coat, especially in the areas and posts that might be bumped a lot.
This is such a beautiful home and Lisa's idea to darken the banister was a really good one.  It, totally, changed the look of the entry into her lovely home.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful transformation, Lynda. I like the dark wood look better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It does look so nice with her new dark wood floors.

    ReplyDelete